As the saying goes, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” This is particularly true when it comes to our health. We all know how small health problems, when left unchecked, can become bigger and more expensive to fix over time. Taking time for preventative health measures like exercising, following a healthy diet, and regularly visiting your doctor can stop those problems from growing out of proportion, or even from appearing in the first place.
Our dental and oral health is no different. Practicing preventative dental and oral health is as simple as following the advice that your dentist has always given you, from daily brushing and flossing to refraining from smoking. By following these tips, you can not only improve your health but also save yourself from time-consuming and expensive dental visits.
- Brush 2-3 times a day (after meals) and floss once a day to prevent the collection of food particles and buildup of plaque between the teeth. Finish with an anti-microbial mouth rinse to help prevent gum disease.
- When brushing, use gentle force with a soft-bristled brush. Hard brushing can actually wear down the enamel on your teeth, making them weaker, more sensitive, and more susceptible to staining.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3 months, or when the bristles appear to be fanning outward. A worn brush is far less effective.
- Always brush your tongue to improve your breath and remove bacteria that could travel to your teeth and gums.
- Eat a healthy diet including foods that are good for your teeth. If you’re brushing and flossing effectively, there’s no need to avoid coffee or tea (provided they aren’t sweetened with sugar), as these beverages can both be healthy for your teeth.
- Smoking is one of the most destructive activities for your oral and dental health. Refrain from smoking, and if you are a smoker, make a plan to quit.
Finally, and importantly, a large part of preventative oral and dental health is making regular visits to your dentist. Much like regular checkups with your doctor, a dental checkup every 6 months to a year can help your dentist identify and fix problems, sometimes even before they start. Scott E. Hayhurst Family and Cosmetic Dentistry offer a variety of preventative dentistry services, from Laser Cavity Diagnosis to Fluoride Treatments, Sealants, and Ultrasonic Cleanings to keep your teeth in top shape. To make your regular or preventative dental appointment, call us today at 208-376-7721 or visit us online to find out more about our dental services!